Etrigan's Art...(World War and fantasy)

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Etrigan's Art...(World War and fantasy)

Post by etrigan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Hi! Inspired by the work of Storn, Dmac, Mancerbear and Scott James and following interesting tips I read from Scott James about using cool gray marker then coloring in photoshop, and tips from Dmac about about using bristol papers and reading Dynamic Anatomy from Burne Hogarth, I put myself to the task, buy the required materiel, and voila!
My first try based on one of Hogarth anatomic model :

Midnight

Of course, I do not presume to be in the same category as the talented artists I have mentionned aboved, but since it's a first try, I can only improve myself over time... I hope so.. :D

Thank you guys for reviving an old hobby of mine...
Last edited by etrigan on Tue May 19, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 33 times in total.

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by mancerbear » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Now Etrigan, that isn't too bad at all mate. I think your anatomy is quite good, and the inking is nice. You have a definite "Jeff Dee" style there, and that ain't a bad thing at all.

I was curious about Scott James comments about inking in cool grays... very intrigued, but haven't tried it yet myself... still an old fashioned black brush inker here...

Keep up the practice Etrigan, as it only gets easier and better the more you do it.

Cheers,

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Post by etrigan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Thanks you very much for the positive comment Mancerbear... a Jeff Dee style.. hummm.... :D

Here's a new one:

Aquarius

The big aquatic guy was suppose to lift a huge rock or something, but i'm not really satisfy with the final result... so I don't think I will finish this one... but I think it's not so bad... don't you?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:11 am

Good stuff for first efforts Etrigan. The first picture is perhaps a little awkwardly posed, and I must say that the long gloves and boots are a bit female-looking for the character, but the definition and colouring are good.

Aquarius is simply excellent.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Post by etrigan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 pm

I didn't realize that the long gloves and boots of Midnight were more a women costume accessory in comics standards, but you're right... he's probably a bi-sexual darkness controller or the next boyfriend of Midnighter! :D

Here's a more viril character:

Nightwolf

Enjoy!
Last edited by etrigan on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Post by etrigan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:12 pm

And just to make sure.. for those of you who notice a poor gramatical structure and a poor vocabulary from my part... english is not my native language... thank you for your understanding... :D
Last edited by etrigan on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AslanC
Hireling
Hireling

Post by AslanC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:52 pm

Simply awesome!

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Post by etrigan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:42 am

I couldn't resist to try to reproduce this incredibly cool character that Scott James is currently working on!
Scott is a really talented artist with a unique style and I've enjoy his art since his early L5R rpg drawing...
A real inspiration for beginner like me.

Scott James homage

Enjoy!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:58 pm

Impressive. Mr warm and fuzzy is particularly impressive.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Wolverine-X » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:32 pm

Etrigan,

Split Image is actually one of my creations...of which I am privileged to have both Scott James and DMAC do some AWESOME commissions!

When both of these guys started posting their artwork on the Atomic Think Tank I instantly wanted to have them help bring the character to life...and they certainly have, with exceptional style and flare!!! :D

I've been playing Split Image (either as an NPC or a PC, with me or my friends playing him) in superhero RPGs going back to the early days of TSR's Marvel Superheroes Basic Edition. He's by far my favorite character, of all the ones I've created, and has seen life in quite a few different systems (Marvel - Basic & Advanced; Champions - 3rd Ed, 4th Ed, & 5th Ed; and M&M 1st Ed & 2nd Ed)!

Thanks for taking a shot at giving him some artistic life! :D

Cheers!

Wolverine-X
Woody's Wise Words...
- Without ME its just AWESO!
- I doubt, therefore I might be.
- I love redundancy! I love redundancy!
- Out of my mind...back in 5 minutes.
- He who laughs last...thinks slowest!

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Post by etrigan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 pm

A work in progress...
The face is pretty ugly... I inked too quickly with a sketch with not enough details.. but I think the body look just fine... don't you? :D

Invincible Girl

Next... color!

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Post by etrigan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:29 pm

If anyone find my beginning drawing skills to his taste and got a cool character concept to submit, I'm willing to take the challenge and take commission for free... just for the plaisure of drawing.

Cyrith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Cyrith » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:39 pm

I've got a character I've been trying to put a concrete image to for awhile, but I'm not a good artist. He's a water user, and the only thing for sure I know I want him to be is on the tall/thin side and with a mask that should look like a tear drop(top of the drop covering his hair, getting wider to cover part of his face. Think you'd like to take a shot? (for more infor if you need it, he the first character on my build page.)
Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. wisdom is knowing you'll be an idiot in the future. Common sense is trying not to be an idiot right now.

Cyrith's Semi-Originals.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=19211

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:34 pm

Hey ertigan, her torso looks quite good but her arms need a bit of work - they are a bit knobbly. I like the style you're developing too - one option for her face is to try fixing it in Photoshop - if you don't have a tablet you can use the lasso tool to shape your lines.

You can have a crack at drawing the Cricket if you like, see my thread, DMAC's thread, Reebo's thread and... I know someone else had a crack at him. Ahh, yes Atlas - 2nd page of drawing boards.

Anyway - keep up the practice.

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Post by etrigan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:56 pm

I Cyrith, here a rough conceptual sketch for Water Bug...

I try to mix the concept of a former hitman with the water bug aspect... with a little touch of magneto's stance and dignity...
He got the tear drop partial mask (I could also do a full face mask with no mouth), the 9mm gun, a water force field and he bring down a TK cascade of water on his ennemies...
I add a visible shell armor (bug-like) instead of the undercover vest and gave him a short cape cut into a bug motif...
I think the water bug logo on the chest is a little too much and should probably be remove...
What do you think? Does it look like what you have in mind?